Children’s Language and Literacy Project
The issue of low literacy amongst many children in Bendigo is of great concern to C4C. In partnership with Bendigo Health and other key stakeholders, C4C has developed an Early Years Literacy and Language Development Strategy for Bendigo.
- To support the implementation of the Children’s Language and Literacy Plan in conjunction with the C4C Facilitating Partner and agencies.
- To build awareness of children’s language and literacy needs amongst families experiencing vulnerability, Aboriginal families and within the wider community.
- Develop processes and structures that ensure all families with newborns have access to information and resources to support their children’s language and literacy development.
- Development and collation of children’s language and literacy resources.
- Development of a children’s language and literacy website that families, services and the community can access for resources and supports around children language and literacy development.
- In conjunction with the Communities for Children Facilitating Partner develop a community awareness campaign on children’s language and literacy development and needs.
- Work with ante-natal and post-natal services to ensure all families have access to information and resources on children’s language and literacy development.
- Work with family support agencies and tertiary services on how they can support children’s language and literacy development amongst the families they support.
- Development and maintenance of a local early years literacy resource website for parents, support workers and the broader community http://bendigoreads.com.au/
If you would like to find out more or get involved, please contact:
Language and Literacy Worker Bendigo Health
03 5454 7188
Director Aboriginal Services, Diversity and Health Promotion
03 5454 6579
Melissa Rockes & Naarah Dawes
Communities for Children Bendigo